Articles (Aalborg University)
- Michael Sloth Trabjerg, Dennis Christian Andersen, Pam Huntjens, Kasper Mørk, Nikolaj Warming, Ulla Bismark Kullab, Marie-Louise Nibelius Skjønnemand, Michael Krystian Oklinski, Kirsten Egelund Oklinkski, Luise Bolther, Lona J. Kroese, Colin E. J. Pritchard, Ivo J. Huibers, Angelique Corthals, Mads Toft Søndergaard, Henrik Bech Kjeldal, Cecilie Fjord Morre Pedersen and John Dirk Vestergaard Nieland. Inhibition of carnitine palmitoyl-transferase 1 is a potential target in a mouse model of Parkinson’s disease. Npj Parkinson’s disease. 2023.
Trabjerg MS, Andersen D, Huntjens P, Oklinski K, Bolther L, Hald J, Baisgaard A, Mørk K, Warming N, Kullab U, Kroese L, Pritchard C, Huijbers I, Nieland JDV. Downregulating carnitine palmitoyl transferase 1 affects disease progression in the SOD1 G93A mouse model of ALS. Communications Biology. 2021 April 30;4(1).
- Trabjerg MS, Mørkholt AS, Lichota J, Oklinski MKE, Wiborg O, Andersen DC, Jønsson K, Kroese LJ, Pritchard CEJ, Huijbers IJ, Gazerani P, Corthals A, Nieland, JDV. Dysregulation of metabolic pathways by carnitine palmitoyl-transferase 1 plays a key role in central nervous system disorders: experimental evidence based on animal models. Scientific Reports. 2020 September 24;10(1).
- Mørkholt AS, Oklinski MK, Larsen A, Bockermann R, Issazadeh-Navikas S, Nieland JGK, Kwon TH, Corthals A, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Pharmacological inhibition of carnitine palmitoyl transferase 1 inhibits and reverses experimental autoimmune encephalitis in rodents. PLOS ONE. 2020 June 10;15(6).
- Mørkholt AS, Trabjerg MS, Oklinski MK, Bolther L, Kroese LJ, Pritchard CEJ, Huijbers IJ, Nieland JDV. CPT1a plays a key role in the development and treatment of multiple sclerosis and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Sci Rep. 2019 September 16;9(1).
- Mørkholt AS*, Kastaniegaard K*, Trabjerg MS, Gopalasingam G, Niganze WN, Larsen A, Stensballe A, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Identification of brain antigens recognized by autoantibodies in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis-induced animals treated with etomoxir or interferon-β. Sci Rep. 2018 May 4;8(1).
- Mørkholt AS, Wiborg O, Nieland JGK, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Blocking of carnitine palmitoyl transferase 1 potently reduces stress-induced depression in rat highlighting a pivotal role of lipid metabolism. Sci Rep. 2017 May 19;7(1).
Posters (Aalborg University)
- Trabjerg, D. Andersen, P. Huntjens, K. Mørk, M. Skjønnemand, M. Oklinski, A. Mørkholt, I. Huijbers, C. Pritchard, L. Kroese, J. Nieland. The role of lipid metabolism in mouse models of Parkinson’s disease. International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society, September 22-29, 2019, Nice, France.
- Mørkholt AS, Trabjerg MS, Huijbers IJ, Pritchard CEJ, Kroese LJ, Nieland JD. Identifying the role of lipid metabolism in an experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis mice model. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), May 30-June 02 2018, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
- Trabjerg MS, Mørkholt AS, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Identifying the role of lipid metabolism in central nervous systems diseases; is there a common theme for MS, ALS, Parkinson´s disease and depression? Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), May 30-June 02 2018, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
- Mørkholt AS, Kastaniegaard K, Trabjerg MS, Niganze W, Gopalasingam G, Larsen A, Stensballe A, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Comparison of etomoxir, a lipid metabolism blocker, and interferon-b treatment on antibody recognition of brain proteins in multiple sclerosis. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), 24-27 May 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Mørkholt AS*, Kastaniegaard K*, Stensballe A, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Characterization of humane autoantibody response to brain proteins in multiple sclerosis patients. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), 24-27 May 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Mørkholt AS, Larsen A, Wiborg O, Issazadeh S, Nieland JGK, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Highly effective treatment of multiple sclerosis by blocking the lipid metabolism. 32nd Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS), 14-17 September 2016, London, UK.
- Mørkholt AS, Larsen A, Nieland JGK, Issazadeh S, Nielsen S, Nieland JD. Blocking the lipid metabolism as a new treatment strategy for multiple sclerosis. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), 01-04 June 2016, National Harbor, Maryland, USA.
- Singh A, Kukreti R, Saso L, Kukreti S. Oxidative Stress: A Key Modulator in Neurodegenerative Diseases. Molecules. Apr 2019;24(8)
- Beal MF. Mitochondria take center stage in aging and neurodegeneration. Ann Neurol. Oct 2005;58(4):495-505.
- Zhu, S. et al. The progress of gut microbiome research related to brain disorders. J. Neuroinflam. 17, 1–20 (2020).
- Tracey, T. J., Steyn, F. J., Wolvetang, E. J. & Ngo, S. T. Neuronal lipid metabolism: multiple pathways driving functional outcomes in health and disease. Front. Mol. Neurosci. 11, 1–25 (2018)
- Parker, A., Fonseca, S. & Carding, S. R. Gut microbes and metabolites as modulators of blood-brain barrier integrity and brain health. Gut Microbes 11, 135–157 (2020).
- Dodge, J. C. et al. Metabolic signatures of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis reveal insights into disease pathogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 110, 10812–10817 (2013).
- Pradat, P. F. et al. Impaired glucose tolerance in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph. Lateral Scler. 11, 166–171 (2010).
- Palamiuc, L. et al. A metabolic switch toward lipid use in glycolytic muscle is an early pathologic event in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. EMBO Mol. Med. 7, 526–546 (2015)
- Bozzo, F., Mirra, A. & Carr??, M. T. Oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage in the pathogenesis 571 of ALS: New perspectives. Neurosci. 636, 3–8 (2017).
- Bose, A. & Beal, M. F. Mitochondrial dysfunction in Parkinson’s disease. J. Neurochem. 139, 216–231 (2016).
- Dunn, L. et al. Dysregulation of glucose metabolism is an early event in sporadic Parkinson’s disease. Neurobiol. Aging 35, 1111–1115 (2014).
- Sampson, T. R. et al. A gut bacterial amyloid promotes a-synuclein aggregation and motor impairment in mice. Elife 9, 1–19 (2020).